Friday, December 5, 2014

Former Albertsons #2734 - Conroe, TX


3830 W. Davis St. • Conroe TX

I first noticed this store, now a Kroger, I believe in 2003, on a trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana with my family. I was immediately drawn to it by the fact that at the time it still had the classic "Loopy K" as I called it (the Loewy-designed logo), which at the time seemed to be disappearing from every Kroger I knew (admittedly, only the Houston division, and of those, primarily the two Kroger stores in College Station). Of course, it "turned" within a few years (block lettering) as well, but one thing about the Kroger was the peculiar "Food" and "Pharmacy" signs that reminded me of Albertsons.

Google Street View


Surprise! It was one just a few years prior, and if I had been paying attention on the 2001 trip, I would have seen it as an Albertsons. Kroger bought numerous Albertsons stores in the greater Houston area, including one from 2001 in Willis (which was later abandoned as it was replaced with a Kroger Marketplace). From tax records, it indicates this one was built in 1996. Things to note include the gas station, which based on the shape was an Albertsons Express gas station (convenience store and all, now operates as Kroger's "Kwik Shop"). There also appears to be a separate entrance to another part of the store, perhaps a bank (not a liquor store)

I've never gone in, so I have no idea if Kroger uses remnants of Albertsons décor package (I wonder if it received new lettering after the renovation that fully "Kroger-ized" it). It was, however, quickly reopened, and for what it's worth, I do remember the lettering being permanent, not a banner hastily covering the Albertsons signage.

If I was just imagining the older logo being on here, please write in and correct me...

No comments:

Post a Comment